Monday, October 02, 2006

Give Your Wretched Opinions On Probation

Picking up where these Grits' suggestions for improving public safety left off, The Wretched of the Earth (written by a Dallas public defender) asks for opinions about shortening probation terms. Go tell Mike what you think.

UPDATE: See his second post on the topic of giving probationers ways to earn their way off supervision through good behavior. Hitting on a theme I've discussed previously, Mike declares:
I've talked to many a defendant who don't think probation is EVER worth it, even though they understand what a conviction will do to an otherwise clean record. And that's at the misdemeanor level; just think of how much worse felony probation is! At first I thought these people were crazy, but a few months of watching good clients who had every intention of working hard on probation get revoked made me realize just how naive I was.

No comments: